jueves, 14 de agosto de 2014

Aikido: An Additional Layer of Self-Defense Training


About eleven years ago, my husband started Aikido training, and he loved to use me for practice. I’d willingly stand in as uke (AKA “the one who takes the fall”), but since I didn’t know what I was doing, I’d often get exasperated or frustrated, especially when a joint lock worked really well.

When it comes to situations like this, I typically side with the dinosaur character Rex from Toy Story. His “I don’t like confrontations” is a statement that rings true for me. It’s just part of my personality, I suppose. I’d rather avoid sticky situations—at all costs. Propitiously, this is smart advice when it comes to self-defense and firearms. The best way to protect or defend yourself (or anyone else, for that matter) is to avoid the conflict in the first place. However, when your significant other attempts newly learned martial arts techniques on you every other day, you may develop a different opinion. And my opinion changed to one that involved me studying Aikido, too!
For a little background, Aikido, translated as “the way of harmony,” is a traditional Japanese martial art developed by Morihei Ueshiba that utilizes grappling, joint locks, nerve control, and dynamic throwing techniques. It’s a popular training option for law enforcement…and one that gained popularity when actor Steven Segal was in his heyday. And even though the idea of a martial art emphasizing peace and harmony seems contradictory, it’s the most basic tenet of the discipline.

It’s also a major tenet for me studying a martial art in the first place. I never wanted to spar with anyone or be required to hit, punch, or kick anything. I just hoped to build some confidence and learn how to defend myself better. Aikido was a perfect fit for me, since it focuses not on striking opponents, but rather on using their own size, momentum, and energy to avoid them or to move them away from you. As well, Aikido is not dependent on muscle mass, strength, or aggression; rather, the discipline emphasizes motion and the dynamics of movement and utilizes principles of absorption and redirection to neutralize an attack and to keep you out of harm’s way. It’s an excellent training option, especially for women.

According to Sensei Tim Morgan of USA Martial Arts in Pelham, Alabama, who has been involved with martial arts since 1975, with Aikido as a focus of personal study, “Aikido can be effective for women of any age or demeanor. But just like a firearm, Aikido or any other martial art is only going to be an extension of the user; it doesn’t have any amount of effectiveness, or lack of effectiveness, in itself. Empty-hand skills, tactical awareness, and modern weapon skills have to be integrated. Aikido, therefore, is a great toolbox that teaches a certain set of skills and provides an overview of basic defense theory. Ultimately, the user is responsible for the implementation of these skills, and the motivation of the practitioner is the key to success.”

I have enjoyed my Aikido training thoroughly over the years and have built more confidence with this unique toolbox of skills. For anyone who is interested in adding a new level of protection to your training—or for anyone who is simply tired of playing uke for a martial arts you don’t understand—you may want to consider studying Aikido. It’s an effective, fun, and empowering addition to your total, personal-defense system.

Source: USCCA